For many of us, those words can instantly quicken the heartbeat and conjure up visions of adventure. If you’re a true blue road tripper with an eye on the horizon and a spirit of discovery, you’ve come to the right place. This blog is for you.
The purpose of Road Trips with Tom is to help you get the most out of your road trip experiences. We’ll give you some ideas on where to go and how to get there. And we’ll stir our brew with a slight dash of attitude. As for jump-starting your inner Lewis and Clark, well, that’s up to you.
Why this blog?
I retired in September 2014 at the ripe old age of 68. I had a lot of jobs, but I’ve always thought of myself primarily as a writer. And my other passions have always been travel and photography. That’s led me to Road Trips with Tom, which is an attempt to marry my passions and stay busy and engaged. But that’s what’s in it for me. You want to know what’s in it for you.
You’re busy, and this is just one medium out of thousands that bombard you all the time. I want you to be a regular reader. To make that happen, I’ll have to work hard. I hope to do that by focusing on four objectives:
- Help you get the most out of your driving vacations
- Give you content you won’t find anywhere else
- Illustrate the blog with good photography
- Make it entertaining and fun
Updated every Sunday!
The blog is updated every Sunday. Most posts will spotlight interesting destinations or possible side trips along the way. News updates will be posted from time to time. I’ll be traveling whenever time and costs allow, so you’ll be seeing fresh content most of the time. I encourage you to register as a member. It’s free, we won’t try to sell you anything, and you can sign up to receive e-mails whenever Road Trip with Tom is updated. So far, this system has been a bit glitchy, so plan on coming back once a week if you don’t receive the e-mail update.
In the right-hand column, you’ll find archive links organized by category and month. You can also access past articles by clicking one of the categories at the top of the home page.
Each issue will have photos that I hope you enjoy. There are thousands of great outdoor photographers who display their photos on the internet. As far as I know,, however, I’m the only one who specializes in photos of roads. Eventually, all photos will be for sale, if you’re interested in buying them. My goal is to make enough money selling photos to cover my expenses. That probably won’t happen until late 2017.
Hi. My name is Tom Dell. I’m a native Southern Californian whose career has revolved around cars and travel. Here’s a snapshot of my background:
- BA in Geography from UCLA
- 3 years as an LA cab driver during my college days
- Service representative at the Auto Club of Southern California – the largest AAA affiliate. I handed out maps, helped people plan vacations and prepared Triptiks
- Travel writer for AAA. I took road trips and got paid for it!
- Editor of the Auto Club’s travel publications
- 31 years at the U.S. headquarters of Nissan and Hyundai; retired in September 2014. Since 1990 I was in management positions.
- Executive MBA. Taught extension classes in management at Cal Poly Pomona
- Traveled throughout the continental United States and Canada. Been to each of the lower 48 states at least 10 times.